Building on its multi-year commitment to attract talented young professionals to the automotive service industry, Federal-Mogul Motorparts has awarded 12 $2,500 (USD) tuition scholarships on behalf of its Garage Gurus technical education network to students enrolled in accredited post-secondary automotive technology schools.
With this latest round of scholarship awards, for the 2017-2018 academic year, the company has awarded $90,000 in tuition support to future automotive service professionals over the last three years.
“Automotive service is a fast-paced, technology-intensive career that is ideal for anyone who likes to solve problems and work with their hands,” said Brent Berman, director, training and consumer experience, Federal-Mogul Motorparts. “Our Garage Gurus scholarships are opening doors to young men and women who want to become skilled technicians and perhaps even operate their own automotive businesses in the years ahead.”
Students who will receive Garage Gurus scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year are:
· Andrew Adams, Carthage, Mo., Pittsburg State University
· Blake Chambers, Springfield, Mo., Pittsburg State University
· Anastacia Clough, North Richland, Texas, Eastfield Community College
· Ian Michael Fisher, Gladstone, Mich., Bay de Noc Community College
· Brittany Florin, Maple Grove, Minn., Dakota County Technical College
· Antoinette Jackson, Port Jefferson Station, N.Y., Suffolk County Community College
· Harley McDowell, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Madison Area Technical College
· Nicholas McSpedon, East Berne, N.Y., Hudson Valley Community College
· Roy Padron, North Hollywood, Calif., Los Angeles Trade Technical College
· Thalia Rosa, Reading, Pa., Automotive Training Center
· Lorenzo Vilches, Borrego Springs, Calif., Cuyamaca College
· Jacob Zelasko, Elma, N.Y., Erie Community College
“This scholarship allows me to start collecting tools and supplies that in the long run will help advance my career,” said recipient Roy Padron, who plans to specialize in diesel engine diagnostics.
Automotive service is one of several skilled trades facing a shortage of incoming professionals needed to address business growth and worker retirement.
To meet this continuing need, the Garage Gurus scholarship program was established in 2015 to serve as an investment in the future of local automotive service businesses and their employees, and specifically to the next generation of talented, highly trained professionals who will help keep millions of vehicles in road-ready condition.
Details about the Garage Gurus’ expanded scholarship program for 2018-2019 will be announced at a later date. To learn more about the current scholarship program and Garage Gurus network, please visit www.FMgaragegurus.com or call 888-771-6005.